Monday, November 10, 2014

Another year...

When I was very young, all I cared about was the day I was in.  I cared about my stuffed animals, riding bikes, playing dress up and baby dolls. 
 
 
 
When I got just a bit older, I would look forward to days when there was no school, or days when my family would go to Knoebels Grove Amusement Park, or when I would get to go to Grandma's house.  I would count the days down until I would have a birthday, or we would have Christmas.   
 
When I entered my teen years, I would look forward to things like going Christmas shopping, or making money to spend, or days when I didn't have to work. 
 
In College, I would look forward to meals, weekends, spending time with those closest to me, and going home for breaks.  I had a countdown. 
 
Now?  I look forward to life.  That sounds so vague compared to the childish desires of my youth.  But though it is general, it is long term; I do not see myself having that crash of disappointment right after Christmas is over.  Or right after my birthday is done for the year. 

 
I haven't done a countdown since I graduated.  And yes, that was only a few months ago.  But any other year this time, I would be counting the days down until I could go home for a break. 
 
I am trying to slowly change that.  Birthdays are cool...it is nice to get older.  :)  I guess.  Christmas time is wonderful, and spending time with family is amazing...but today is good too.  I want to learn to be content living life day to day, not living life so that today can be over and tomorrow can start. 
 
With that being said, yes, I am 23 years old now.  Do I feel any different? Nope...but I am trying to love life every day, not just the "special" days. 
Just something that I thought of recently: Don't count the days, make the days count.


1 comment:

Sarah Covey said...

Happy birthday, Virginia! Your post was a great reminder!
~Sarah