Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Oh Deer!!!!

As you recall, I mentioned in my last post that several unplanned events kept us busy two weeks ago.  I should really say that they kept Dan busy, not so much me.  But I helped. 
 
On Monday morning, Dan left early to go hunting and on his way, hit a buck.  I was surprised to see him pull up so soon after leaving. 
 
The swing set in the backyard came in handy for hanging the deer. 
 
 
 
 
The truck suffered some damage to the bumper, headlights and grill, but still runs fine.  I look a little less happy about this than Dan does... 


 
On Wednesday morning, Dan began cutting the meat off of the buck and our neighbor came over to see it.  Our neighbor left to go somewhere at about 8AM and then came right back and told Dan that he saw a dead deer laying beside the road!  So Dan drove there, picked up the roadkill, and came back with it and hung her up too! When he called the local police to come and give him a tag for it, the officer said that the deer had been hit just that morning and that one of his deputies had been there. 
 
 
 

 
So that day, Wednesday, we spent the entire day processing two deer.  We don't have a meat grinder, so we cut it all up by hand.  As a result, both of us had cuts all over our hands!
 
I was sorry that the truck got damaged, but happy that Dan got TWO deer this year.  He had been a little discouraged because the hunting here wasn't as good as it was in Maryland (surprisingly). 
 
We ate our first venison steaks the following day, and they were good, albeit a bit tough (because Dan likes to cook them). :D 
 
EDIT: *************************************************EDIT
 
Dan JUST came home with ANOTHER deer!!!! 
 
 
 
I know what I'll be eating for the next year!  Venison steaks, venison burgers, venison roasts, venison kabobs, venison...
 
 

No comments: