Monday, October 22, 2018

House Updates

My apologies for being absent from my blog for so long.  We have been keeping busy feverishly working on the outside of the house before the REALLY cold weather sets in.  I scraped paint from the bottom portion of the house, but didn't really feel comfortable being higher than a tall step ladder, so Dan did the higher parts.  Also, the house is so tall that in order to effectively scrape and then paint the upper part, we had to rent a lift for a week.  The chimney pictured here was falling apart, so Dan also rebuilt it and replaced several slate shingles.
 
 
 
This is the first coat of primer.

 
This side of the house was by far the worst.  It hadn't been painted correctly in over 20 years probably.  It's also the side of the house that was covered with vines.

 
We had some dreadfully wet weather the week we rented the lift, hence, the mud pit. 


 
Dan's view from the roof.  This is looking out over the new metal roof he put on last fall.

 
First coat of paint.

 
Dan accidently sprayed himself in the face with the paint sprayer.  So of course, I took a picture. 


 
After paint.


 
We also bought new, vinyl windows for the house since the windows were all original (from 1900) and needed updating.

 
 

 
They were delivered one day and Dan started installing them the next day!
My job was to haul the old windows out to the garage.

 
Also, a few weeks ago, Dan and I laid these huge slabs of stone and made a patio out of them. 



 
Some window install in process.



 
The house after painting was complete. 

 
 
This house has been the talk of the town.  I walked into the town municipal center today to pay a water bill and the lady there talked to me for about 15 minutes about how amazing the house looks now and kept profusely thanking me for helping to bring the old house back to life. 
 
People stop several times a day to say similar things to Dan. 
 
I appreciate that they appreciate an old house being restored.
 
I hope all of you have had a good month.  It's hard to believe that October is nearly over and that tomorrow's weather forecast calls for snow flurries here!  

1 comment:

Katie said...

I agree with the neighbors, you are doing a lovely job and a good deed.