Monday, January 3, 2022

Christmas 2021

I hope you all had the merriest of Christmases this year! 
Our Christmas was different and quiet, but I had so much fun watching my girls enjoy their day.  

We had such a wonderful time on Christmas Eve with our church, celebrating the birth of our Savior.  It was so nice to have visitors in church, and a very full church.  We had a candlelight service which was very nice.  We stayed rather late, so by the time we came home, we were all very hungry and didn't get a chance to get a family photo by the tree, which has become a sort of a tradition.  

I snagged this photo of the girls though, before they had a hanger fit.  



One of the dear ladies at church gave Gwen and Lucie gifts: these new dresses!  When they woke up Christmas morning, they begged to wear their new dresses.  Another lady at church gave them the fuzzy, Christmas socks they're wearing.   


I made a crescent roll/cinnamon sugar breakfast with scrambled eggs.  We ate, and then I had the idea to do a scavenger hunt for Gwen and Lucie to find their presents.  
I remember when I was growing up, my parents would do elaborate scavenger hunts (which could include hiding spots on the entire 5 acres) and we would hunt for our presents.  Sometimes there was a present with each clue...other times your present stash would be at the end of the hunt for clues.  

I loved it so much and each Christmas I have fond memories of them. I had Dan draw some clues


Then I went and hid the presents at the locations. 

We explained what they were to do, then I went with Gwen while Dan went with Lucie to find their presents.


Here's Gwen, looking for a present under the piano.


And Lucie found hers under the rocking chair!


Gwen, at the manger scene.



Gwen even had some in the bathtub!





This is Lucie, finding her final presents.


Then we let them open the presents they found.  

This year, I found quite a few nice things (keep in mind, my kids are 3 and 2) at the dollar tree. Don't think I'm a cheapskate.  I just know my girls and I know that they'll enjoy something that costs $1 just as much as they will something that's $25.  Plus they get overwhelmed with too many new things at once.  So we got them about 10 dollar tree things each.  Plus I got them some things they'll share, like new hair bows and baby doll bottles with the disappearing milk and orange juice.  

Gwen, opening her pretend jewelry.  She loves it so much.  
 


These are $1 dolls from dollar tree.  I got one for each of the girls.  Each doll comes with a purse, comb, shoes, and necklace and outfit. Sidenote: has your local dollar tree raised their prices yet? Ours is $1.25 now for every item.  I did my Christmas shopping for the girls before that happened though.  Whew!  hahaha


One of the guys at church got Dan this present!!  It's a remote controller backhoe!  Yes, Dan is 34 years old.  But Dan LOVES remote controlled toys...I attribute it to the fact that as a child he didn't get many gifts like this perhaps?  Whatever the case, he thought it was a fun gift and enjoyed driving it around, trying to pick up wrapping paper and bows off the ground with the bucket (Of which he was unsuccessful). 


Mimi (my mother-in-law) made and sent these hats for the girls!  They love them and wear them each time they go outside.  Okay, Eliza does not love hers...but she never loves hats.  :-)



After we finished wrapping presents (We have not actually finished FINISHED yet- we are saving a few of the girls gifts from friends for later when the "new toy" fascination has worn off of the $1 items), we drove to Queensbury and ate lunch at the Asian buffet (of all places!)  
The price was very steep...I suppose because it was Christmas, they gauged their prices because they knew they were the only place open.  
But it was nice!  I enjoyed eating the food on the buffet!

Hope you all enjoyed a lovely Christmas!!!  Did you do anything special?  Please let me know if you have any neat traditions!  I'd like to implement some new ones next year and need fresh ideas!
  

No comments: