Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Family Visit

A few weeks, I was absolutely delighted, over-the-moon, (etc) that my sister, her children, sister-in-law and her daughter came to visit us!  Since we've lived in New York (almost 5 years now) and even in Baltimore (2 years before that), not many family members from my side have visited us.  

On Dan's side of the family, his mom has come to see us both in Baltimore AND here at least 4 times.  His dad came once in Baltimore and twice since we've been in NY.  His brother and sister-in-law have come once in MD and once here, his Sister and brother-in-law have come once in MD and once in NY...


But on my side of the family, my sister Sarah and her family came once in MD and NY, my parents came once to MD and NY, and Martha came once (though it was a very short trip, only one quick day) to MD and NY. 

I'm not complaining because I understand it isn't easy to make trips with little kids.  

That's why we feel so honored and privileged each time any family makes the long trek up here.  

6 1/2 hours is no ball game with 6 children in the car! 

  

We had pretty nice weather while Lydia and Elisabeth and the kids visited us, so we tried to get outdoors! 

Took them to the Fort William Henry Fort in Lake George.  I'd never been there, but it was the only fort in the area that was open (most of them are seasonal for tourism).  There were lots of aspects that were closed and unavailable (like the cannon and musket demonstrations and the living history portion of it), and it was raining the whole time we were there....PLUS the water pipes had burst, so there were no bathrooms, save the one jiffy John.  But besides all those strikes, it was still nice!  I will probably go back again in future.  













My nieces and Nephews love history, and I think that is so cool, because of course...I do too.  :-) 

There were some wax figures behind glass windows inside the fort, depicting soldier life, etc.  One place had a man having his fake leg being amputated.  My poor niece was quite frightened.  I didn't know it at the time, but Gwen thought it was scary too.  Later that night and for subsequent nights, she prayed that God would heal the man's leg.  :-) 


They stayed for 2 nights.  One day, we showed them the farm, and then came back to the house and made sandwiches and took our picnic down to the waterfall.  The water was super high and roaring. 





After our meal, Dan took my three oldest nephews and niece (and Gwen, who loves to tag along and won't take naps anymore) back to the farm to explore/work. 








Then they went to the tire place to get the truck inspected.  Annnnd from the looks of the photo, they got some orange cream bars :-)


Earlier that day, we went to Whitehall quickly to see the birthplace of the US Navy, the hull of the USS Ticonderoga, and the Skene Manor up on the hill. 




The next day, we drove them to see the house we finished and sold last year and then hiked up the slate mound in Pawlet. Each of the kids were gathering hunks of slate to take home for their treasures.  Gwen and Lucie tried to also collect some, but I made them throw it back because slate is everywhere here and we can get it anytime. 



We saw the cave on our little hike/walk.  The hill was too steep to climb down though, with little children. 





That afternoon, Lydia and Elisabeth treated us to lunch at Ambrosia Diner in Queensbury, and then they loaded up and headed home.  

It was a refreshing time for me.  I love to be with family, and I miss family, being so far away from them.  Anytime we get to spend with family is a treat.  This was one of the first times that family came and visited when the weather wasn't absolutely freezing/icy and snowy.  So being able to go places was also really fun.  
We were grateful that they made the long trip up here and already look forward to there hopefully being another one in future!

1 comment:

David said...

I live in Baltimore Maryland.