Friday, February 15, 2013

Post-Valentines Day Feelings

Being in a college where many of the students are at the very least, hoping to be married someday, Valentine's Day is a big event.  Nearly as big as a basketball game or something. 
 
Living in a dorm full of girls, is interesting to say the least.  Many of them have boyfriends/fiances, and if so; you can be sure that we know every last thing about them. 
Many of the girls though, are single and not dating for various reasons.  On Valentine's Day, it is easy for these girls to be "happy" in their singlehood...after all, there are all the jokes about single-awareness day.  It's easy to feel like you're just part of the single group.
 
The day after Valentine's Day though...(or just any day in general) is another story though. 
I hear often "I'm just waiting for the right guy to come along..."
 
Warning, warning: I am about to go on a rant for a couple minutes.   :)
 
I feel like asking over and over again "Why are you sitting around waiting for the "right guy" to come along?"
1. Who ever said that it's God's will for EVERYONE to get married?
-you are assuming that you will get married.  Not only could you be setting yourself up for disappointment, but it may not be what God wants for your life. 
 
2. (I've heard this over and over) Why don't you focus on being the right one? Instead of waiting for the 'right one'?
-If you met someone special tomorrow, are you ready to get married?  Are you mature enough for that?  Here's a clue: if you can't turn in projects on time and can't seem to find time for things like homework, you're probably not ready for a relationship, much less marriage.
 
Like I said, this is one giant rant and ramble, but I've been thinking these thoughts now since college started.  I'm surrounded by these girls 24/7 and every time I hear the "I'm waiting for the right guy to come along," I want to send them the link to this page.  :)
 
Those are the thoughts I had the day after Valentine's Day.  :)
 
 


1 comment:

Desirae Clopper said...

Thanks Virginia! An encouraging and challenging post!
God Bless!
Desirae Clopper