Friday, October 10, 2014

Calico Ghosttown Adventure

I experienced the time of my life!  I have been researching all of the ghost towns and abandoned towns nearby Lancaster, CA, and I found this town called Calico.  This town is an abandoned gold mining town.  When the gold mine stopped operating, the town was abandoned. The best thing about it, is that the buildings are original and just restored...and the reenactors are volunteers who just love to act the part of wild west pioneers and gunmen. 
This is the town of Calico from up on the gold mine


I got my picture taken with this man, who claimed to be Doc Watson.  He kept trying to sell me elixirs and tonics and saying he would skip town as soon as I bought one.  He sure acted the part, I loved it!



There were a ton of these gold miners hideouts in the mountain.  I got my picture taken inside this one.  If you know me at all, you know that I was going ecstatic over finding all of this...pretty amazing.  I even found Pecus Bill's secret hideout...



These are some of the other gold miners hideouts.



This was the Calico restaurant.  The CA gunfighters put on a few skits for us, it was awesome!



The Calico schoolhouse



On our way to the town of Calico, we stopped at the famous Peggy Sues Diner.  The breakfast there was amazing!  It was pretty neat to eat at a place where old actors and actresses ate.



With a reenacting Indian.  She was true to her part...would NOT crack a smile.



This is the railroad at Calico



Part of the CA gunfighters assoc.










And this cute little hideout...I loved it. 



Basically, this town is my favorite place so far.  So far in California, my life has been fun. And my idea of fun is finding historical towns. Until later!

1 comment:

Les Barr said...

As you have already known, I love to snoop around in Historical places. Seems that you have a number of them out there. I would enjoy seeing what the old West once was, but guess that I never will.

History abounds around here. I've been to most of the places and it's documented in my old blog.