Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Road trip across the United States part 1

In preparation for my move back across the U.S. To the state of Maryland, I worked on packing all of my things up for about two days. I was able to fit everything into my little car (which is a miracle). I had my car serviced and they gave me a guarantee that my car was healthy enough to make it across the country. :) 

I spent my Wednesday morning finishing up some last minute details and then had lunch/breakfast with my best friend before leaving California. I said my goodbyes to my landlord and land lady and then drove off.  I was bound and determined to not only see amazing sites on my trip, but also to make the trip in four days and three nights.  So though I knew I wanted to stop at different places, I also wouldn't let it sidetrack me. 




I made my first stop when I saw signs for a little town called Seligman in Arizona. When I drove into the town, I realized that I wasn't hungry though, and didn't need any gas...so I turned around and headed back to the freeway. I was nearly back when I saw a tiny sign that said 'Town Cemetery' with an arrow. 

I cannot resist looking at cemeteries. 
 




 
After spending my first night sleeping in my car in a hotel parking lot in Flagstaff, I decided that the next night I would be spending IN the hotel.  It was certainly uncomfortable, since my car was full of boxes and bags and my seat could not slide back or set back at all.  I made it through the night of course though and the next morning, I got an early start to my day since I couldn't bear to try and sleep uncomfortably anymore that night.  I drove for just an hour or so and then decided to go a little bit out of my way to see Sedona Arizona.  I really wanted to see the Grand Canyon, but it was pretty far out of my way.



 
I was driving through Sedona just as the sun was really coming up, so it was beautiful and the rocks were so red.  My camera really doesn't do it justice at all.  Plus, there were very few places to pull over along the road, so my pictures were minimal.


After getting back on the road, I drove another hour or two and began seeing signs for the Meteor Crater.  They even had their own AM station advertisement, which I listened to about 12 times in order to understand all of the details.  Apparently, one of the largest meteor craters in the world was right there in Arizona and I'd be driving right passed it! 
So you can just guess where my next stop was...
 
 




 
This crater is 26 stories deep!  That's like, a skyscraper!  It was pretty neat. They gave guided tours walking around the entire crater, which is several miles around.  But I didn't have time to stay for a tour...I had to hit the road again...
 
 
 
 
I saw signs for St. Joseph.  I couldn't squelch my curiosity in wondering which Joseph was the saint...so I googled this town and found out that this was one of the largest first settlements of Mormons in Arizona.  Of course, that explained who the St. was...
Apparently they used to be St. Joseph, but then had to change their name to Joseph City because of confusion in the mail system with another St. Joseph.
 

 
I did a quick drive-thru of the town, took just a few pictures of these signs and then hit the road once again. 

 
As I was driving through Holbrook, AZ I couldn't resist taking a picture of this road sign.  I only wonder what the story is behind the naming of this sign...
 
 


I think my road trip will be divided into three parts, since I don't want to become boring or drag it on and on with tons of pictures.  :) 
Until part 2, hope you enjoy the tales of my road trip. 







No comments: