Monday, August 17, 2015

Road trip across the USA part 2

If you hate ghost towns, you may as well not bother to read this post...because my second day stops across New Mexico and Texas consisted of fuel stops and ghost towns. 
I became the expert at looking ahead on my gps to which little obscure towns were coming next and then googling them, seeing if there was any old interesting history or if the town looked pretty blah. 

Each of the ones I stopped at had something interesting about it. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of this town. It could have been Moriarty or Milan. 



I read about this ghost town on Google, got off at the exit, and nothing was there except this little bridge. I followed this road for probably ten miles and nothing was there. I kept seeing little trailers where people were living, but no abandoned town. Eventually I just turned around and went back to the freeway because I didn't want to waste too much time. 



I took this picture on my way back to the freeway. You can't really see it in this picture, but perhaps in the next picture it's a little clearer.  Between the two sets of railroad tracks (in amongst the greenery), there was a horse standing there, eating grass and not tied up or penned in or anything! I considered stuffing it into my car and bringing it home with me...


 
 
This was when I was almost to Albuquerque  



I kept seeing small signs for an old historic bridge. I didn't know what bridge they meant, but I love history, so I followed the signs.  Here it is, the Rio Puerco Bridge, which used to be THE bridge when old Route 66 was thriving. 



I wanted to get a picture by it, but there was nobody nearby to take a picture for me...



I once again looked ahead on my GPS and saw that the next town was Cuervo, NM. When I looked this town up, LOTS of news articles and blogs popped up. After reading them all, I was only slightly frightened too stop there...and wondered whether I should. But then my adventurous side won and reminded myself that I might not be back this way for a lonnnnnng time.  I know you all might be curious now. If you care to, do the same thing I did, and just google the town name.  You can read the articles for yourself. 

By far, this ghost town was the most fascinating because it's literally still there. It's not like walking up to a pile of rubble and thinking "this used to be a building!!!!!" Like I typically end up doing.  This is still a town, still fIrly intact...and even had sort of creepy people living there not long ago.  (Google the town)



You don't know how badly I wanted to get out of my car and walk into these buildings and explore.  But my better judgement said that since I am a 23 year old girl, alone, in an abandoned town where there has recently been found suspicious and nasty activity...I better not.  



So I enjoyed the view of this town from my drivers seat











I drove up a bit further on the 40 and saw another town called Newkirk which is yet another ghost town.  I even read a nice story about a girl who lived there with her family.  This store was owned by her relative I think....
 


 
 
As you can probably tell, I was having the time of my life exploring these ghosttowns.  I got back on the road at just the right time because the storm darkened and the lightning started flashing before there was a terrible storm.  I was even able to get a few pictures of the lightning! 
 
 




That was the end of my second day on the road.  I stopped in Amarillo Texas for the night and then resumed my drive the next morning.  :)  Check back for Day 3!

No comments: