Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Road trip across the USA part 3




 I realized yesterday night that I never posted up Day three of my long journey!  So here it is, the third and fourth and final day of my journey. 
 
I drove through McLean and saw that it was a historical town.  I stopped at this old museum and wanted to explore a little bit, but then saw that it was closed...:( 
 
 
 
 
I jumped back on the road and came driving up to an old fort called Reno.  This was in  Oklahoma.  I quickly pulled over and drove back a very very long lane in the middle of nowhere to this fort.  Upon entering it and exploring it a bit, I learned that this fort was in operation from early 1800's the whole way until WWII when it became a POW camp.  When it was a POW camp, it held many German and Italian prisoners.  In the very back of the fort, this large cemetery is set up under some shady trees. 

I really enjoyed being able to take an hour or so and just relax and enjoy some good history. 





 
The fort had its own chapel and everything!






I continued driving for hours until I passed St. Louis.  By that time, it was dark, so of course, I was unable to take any good pictures of the arch or anything. I slept the night just past St. Louis and then woke up early to continue my final day of travel. 
 
I found the next few states much easier to drive through.  Driving through Illinois and Indiana were nothing like Oklahoma or New Mexico!  I stopped once more in Vandalia, IL.  This was the city in which Abraham Lincoln had his first job in politics. 
 
 
This is the building where Lincoln worked.


 
I drove passed the worlds largest windchime 
 
And the worlds largest rocking chair 
 
I drove and drove for hours until it was nearly 4am on Sunday morning.  It was such a beautiful sight to see this Welcome to Pennsylvania sign.   
 
So that concludes my road trip across country!   Until next time when there is news of my move to Maryland!

No comments: