Thursday, September 11, 2014

Bekah and Centralia

One of my closest friends, Bekah came to visit me at my home in Pennsylvania. We pretty much worked on the farm all week, and had just a few hours in two of the days to go do some fun things. 



I took Bekah to see Gettysburg since it is so close to my home. This is me, posing with Abraham Lincoln on the square of Gettysburg.


 
When we left Gettysburg, we went to a place I have been fascinated by for years.  Ever since I was about 11, I have researched and longed to visit the abandoned town of Centralia.  Those who know me know that I am fascinated by historic places, and this was something I have wanted to do for years.  So we made the trip up that way.  It only took us about an hour and a half to get there, and where we parked, we were right in front of this cemetery.  We found out later that this is actually the newer cemetery.  The older one is behind it aways.  There is a picture below of the older one.

 
We started walking back this gravel/stone road and kept coming across similar "puddles" this size and even bigger. 

 
We found what used to be the main road into town.  It is now being overgrown

 
And due to the underground fire in the mines, the road has been cracking open.  I have seen pictures online where there is smoke billowing from the cracks, but the day we were there, we saw no smoke.

 
We sort of went off into the woods after the paved road ended suddenly. 

 
We came across a lot of junk and trash in the woods.  I found this old 7-up bottle.

 
We found part of a partially remaining tool

 
 
And what was also what used to be a coal crusher back in the 1900's





This is a shrine that I found right outside of Centralia.



Unfortunately we began running out of time before it started getting dark.  Plus it started raining a bit.
 
This is the original old cemetery
 




As far as I could tell, this is the last standing house!

 
A pretty lake nearly where we were.


 
I had sooo much fun looking through The old town of Centralia.  Next time (and there will definitely be a next time) I will make it an all day!  Looking forward to the next visit I make!

No comments: