Sunday, October 8, 2017

Bob and Joe

I experienced kindness from a stranger yesterday whom I have never met and never will meet in this life.  And it was too exciting to not talk about. 
One never knows who may read this, so for the sake of this person, I will use aliases. 

Except for myself: you all already know my name. 

In 2010, I purchased a computer program to be included in a package deal when I bought my first laptop for college.  I received a good price on this program, and it came with the whole works.  In four years of my undergrad and one year of my masters, I used this program faithfully and never considered upgrading it to the newer years' product.  2010 suited me just fine!

In 2015, my laptop crashed, and I lost everything that came with it (as well as a ton of personal files).  After purchasing a new laptop, I contacted the program company and told them my plight...that I had already purchased 2010, but that I had no receipt or install dvd because it had been purchased as a package deal.  This company kindly helped me, found my information using my name and email address (a yahoo account at the time), and gave me my product password, so that I might install it onto my new computer.  They encouraged me to please purchase a re-install dvd in case this computer were to crash as well.  So I did that!

Now it's 2017.  I've continued to use this program faithfully, until earlier this year in June.  My computer's hard drive failed in June, thus leaving me without a laptop to use.  I actually went without one for about a month, but finally took it to a shop, and had them put in a new hard drive.  Because the hard drive was replaced, I basically had a new computer. 

Yesterday, I went to install the 2010, trusty computer program again!  It wouldn't work because I had not written down the product password, and I had deleted my yahoo account last year.  I contacted the company, explained my plight to them again, apologized for losing the password again, and asked them to please give it to me again. 

We were chatting via live chat and the employee I was "speaking" with (Bob) said that they did not have any record of my having purchased the program, since I had originally purchased it as a package deal.  I explained that they most certainly did have record of my purchase, because I had contacted them just two years prior and they found my account just fine. 

This went back and forth for about 15 minutes and finally, being very frustrated, I asked to speak with a supervisor.  The supervisor (Joe) , after speaking condescendingly to me told me that he had no idea why I seemed "so attached to 2010, and that it was so dear to me, when I could just purchase the newest version."

Joe said that "out of the goodness of his heart" (he actually said that!), he would give me a trial of the newest version and that after a few months, I'd need to purchase it. 
Finally, realizing that I was getting nowhere with these people, (and unable to make them realize that the reason I was partial to 2010 is simply because I paid for it and it worked well!) I accepted their offer of this new version which I would eventually have to pay for. 

Joe switched me back over to Bob, who then proceeded to set me up to begin a remote session with him (which meant that he could access my computer from where he was and could install this new program). 

After getting it all set up, he began using my mouse, opened up a notepad document on my desktop, and typed "I'd like to help you.  I have the product password for your 2010 version. 
I typed back "ok"
And then Bob proceeded to give me the password, install my 2010 program, and set it up for me. 

Wow...
I was just sitting there, watching my screen in amazement. 
Some man across the country somewhere, who had never met me, was helping me out though it wasn't going to benefit him at all.

After Bob was finished, he typed to me "I'm sorry.  I wanted to help you all along, but I hope you understand my limitations.  You are my first customer tonight."

I typed back that I understood and continued to thank him profusely.  And of course, I apologized for being irritated initially. 


Bob and Joe represent two different types of people to me.  Joe realized that though he had the password on hand, it wasn't his obligation to pass it on to me.  He lied to me, told me that there was nothing he could do to get the password for me, and convinced me that I had better just take his other generous offer. 
Bob, while initially following the "protocol" of their business, BEGAN lying to me, but then his conscience must have kicked him for doing so.  He decided that he would help me. 
Bob had nothing to gain from helping me out, monetarily speaking.  But he made the choice to help someone, and I'm sure, felt better as a result. 

I learned something valuable too.  Be honest in my dealings, like Bob. 

Also, keep track of important passwords.

    

No comments: