Monday, November 4, 2013

Hard Times...

    Who enjoys a challenge that doesn't simply work out...but has to be WORKED out?  Nobody.  at least, not me.  In my piano lesson on Tuesday, my teacher could tell that I have been having a rough week.  He asked me what I was feeling overwhelmed about.  I told him that the figured bass assignment and scale sets (which I CHOSE for myself) were too hard.  I expressed how I think I am unable to accomplish all of it within the next couple of weeks.  I explained that I thought I went in over my head and chose a subject that was too much, too difficult for me to do.  He looked at me and said "Virginia, hand me your Bible.  I want to show you something".
    He took me to Genesis 1 where the Bible says that God created Light and the evening and the morning were the first day.  He said "We usually say "Morning and Evening" but the Bible says Evening and Morning."  My teacher then  went on to explain to me that he believes that a Bible-application could be drawn from the passage.  He explained that the application we can make is that evening (dark) comes BEFORE the morning (light).  Dark symbolizes the dark and down periods in our life, while the light symbolizes when everything is going just as we would have it to go. 
     My piano teacher pointed out that he believes in every area of our life and particularly in our learning development, we must go through that time when we feel lost or we feel as if we are treading water and not getting anywhere.  For me, this is a period of dark.  I feel as if I cannot accomplish everything I am supposed to accomplish and I am stressing over it.  He pointed out to me that he went through the exact same time in his life when he was young and in college.
It isn't just me.  Often, when I get bogged down or am going through a 'dark' period, I feel as if I am the only one going through it.  This is a sign of the pity-party syndrome.  I need to grow up at this point and realize that I am NOT the only one and in fact, there are many others going through the exact thing.
    I thank God that I am at an institution where my teachers can encourage me by using the Bible, not common sense...I'm glad that I can walk away from my piano lessons not only encouraged and ready to tackle the week, but also, meditating on God's Word.

1 comment:

Sarah Covey said...

Virginia,
That was a great post! Something that definitely applies to my life, thanks for sharing!