Thursday, August 2, 2018

My favorite holiday: Dan's Birthday

We celebrated Dan's birthday this past month.  His birthday falls on 7/11 and if we were near a 7Eleven, we would celebrate it by getting free slurpies...but alas, there aren't any nearby. 
 
We woke up and found some birthday presents for Dan in the chicken coop.  Our chickens started laying!  The first day we started out with only two, but one was a double yolk. 
 
 

 
Dan went and worked on the house for a little while, while I made him a cake (which turned out to be pretty rough...).  I know how much he loves oatmeal raisin cookies, so I had the grand idea to make an oatmeal raisin cheesecake.  It wasn't so bad, but then when he came home, I tried to light 31 candles (the trick kind, that keep coming back after being blown out).  Basically, the cake was covered with ashes and wax by the time Dan blew them out.  Oh, and the kitchen smelled like smoke.  You can't have everything turn out perfectly...that's the lesson I learned.  haha.  We went out to a late lunch at a place nearby called the Log Jam. 
 
Then we decided we'd try out the boat we just bought.  We got a good price on this jon boat and I bought two lifejackets for us.  We tried her out on the canal, since the water is smooth there, and nothing unexpected would happen. 


 
Dan has rowed a boat before but it was a long time ago.  After a bit, he got the hang of it. 


 
He finally convinced me to get in.  I was a little nervous because the boat leaks a tiny bit of water. 


 
It was very relaxing- for me.  Maybe not so much for Dan. 
 
On our way home, Dan took us the long way on the scenic route which is a dirt road. 
When we came to a sharp turn, I saw that there was an old cemetery there.  We stopped and looked around. 




 
Quite a few of the markers were revolutionary war soldiers.  Dan walked through this brush and section of trees and saw that there was a back part of the cemetery hidden from the road.  We found that these were the markers of prisoners who had died in the prison right down the road.  Most of them just have numbers, no names. 

 
It was a nice day, besides the cake mishap.  Forgive me, because I am behind in my posts.  I need to catch up, so I'll be making a few posts in these next few days. Bear with me! 
 

No comments: