Friday, April 24, 2009

Yesterday my Mom and I went to Washington D.C. for a special event concerning some of our CSA's. We now have over 100 CSA's, and about 70 of them came from the National Geographic Society. My mom was asked to come to the National Geographic Society's building to speak to some of the people who were interested. So we went, and we took three crates of Apples along too, to give out to the people. :)
We had a LOT of interested people, and Mommy talked to almost all of them. For some reason, I can never explain things quite right, and they sound confusing when they come out of my mouth....So I just let Mommy talk. I just sat and smiled. :)
This is my Mom, with the head Coordinator, Susan. Susan kept me occupied some of the time, introducing me to people, taking me to eat, and showing me the museum. So I had fun with her!

While we were there, I was able to get a FEW pictures of the "sights." We went RIGHT past Pennsylvania Avenue, but since we were lost at the time, and Mommy was asking me to look at the map, I wasn't able to get a picture of anything really important....:(












And that was the extent of my day yesterday. I had a HUGE headache after it was all over though! A big plus was the trip home. (Mommy let me drive!!!!) :)

2 comments:

Cora Beth said...

What a neat post!!! I love the pictures! I've never been to Washington DC and it was neat to see the pictures you were able to take while there.
I hadn't realized before that you were involved with CSAs... How wonderful! Is that why you planted so many onions? :) Do people come out to your farm on certain day of the week to help you grow produce? We sold things at our local farmer's market when we first moved here and talked then about trying to start a CSA group in our area, but pretty much everyone here has their own gardens and I'm not sure if people would drive an hour to work in someone elses' dirt? When we sold things at the market, there wasn't much demand for vegetables and we mostly sold our home-made whole wheat bread; quarts of cream that we seperated from our cow's milk; and herbal salve that my mom & I make. We stopped doing that when my mom got very sick and nearly died, but she's very much improved now, and we've talked about going to market again, but our life seems so busy now the way it is...
I know what you mean about not knowing what to say at the right time... I have a Mother who knows how to say things very well too! :)
Have a great day, and happy dog-sitting on Sunday!

*~Virginia~* said...

Haha, thanks!
Yeppers1!! We sell onions at markets, but we also give them to CSA's. We try to plant large quantities of eveything, so that we can divide it evenly between them all.
We started out just having farmers markets. Then we started the CSA's. So now we combine them. We go to the markets, and while we're there, its also a pickup spot for the CSA's. The people COULD come out if they want too, but its about a 2 1/2 hour drive, so most of them come like once, and then don't come anymore.
We've now got about 150 CSA's...I wasnt counting right in my post. And thats including the National Geographic Society and A BIG Jewish community. So, It'll definetely keep us busy this year!!!!!! Yay! :)