Saturday, November 14, 2009

A FIELD TRIP!!!!:-D

A few Tuesdays ago my Mom took me on a field trip! It was exciting for me, since my family never really DID field trips to much.
We went to two Historical sites: The home of William Penn (Pennsbury Manor) and Washington's Crossing on the Delaware River.
I got as many pictures as I could, but thought I'd better not try posting them all...:-D As it is, this post will be kinda lengthy: sorry!!!!
Pennsbury Manor. Most of this site was reconstructed in the 1940's since it had long been dilapidated.

Inside the Manor. Our tour guide told me that was allowed to take pictures, but that I couldn't use the flash. So that's why they're kinda blurry...

This was supposed to be William Penn's bed.


I only posted three pictures from the inside, because all of the rooms KIND OF look the same after awhile...:-D



I asked my Mom to take a picture of me in front of the Manor, and she had the zoom on by accident. It actually turned out kind of nice though, with the leaves in the background :-D







There were about four Peacocks walking around. The tour guide told me they were tame, but whenever I walked up to one, it ran away...

After we were finished at Pennsbury, we drove to Washington's Crossing.
I got this picture of the original painting.

Our tour guide told us that this piece of the river was where George Washington crossed with his 2,500 men.


This is the Tavern where George Washington stayed when he layed out the plans for the crossing. The inside was SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!! ALL of the furniture was REAL and whenever one of our group would accidentally lay they're hand on a chair, our tour guide was like, "NOOOOOOOO!!!! That's ANTIQUE!!!!"
He told me I wasn't allowed to take any pictures of the inside. :-( But I guess I can understand, since ALL of the stuff in there was very old and valuable!

After finishing our tour of the Crossing, We drove up to Bowman's Tower and got a beautiful view of the Delaware.


My Mother




And that's it for my field trip post.
One thing that I found VERY interesting, is that Washington's Crossing is closing down. As it is now they're only open about three days a week, since they don't have the funds to hire workers, and volunteers are hard to come by. The lady at the ticket counter told us that Washington's Crossing had attempted to become part of the State Historical Society, but that they were not accepted since they were small. I thought that was SO sad! My state, Pennsylvania, is paying for BRAND new Football Stadiums (or whatever it is they're spending money on), while Pennsylvania Historical Sites are closing because of lack of advertisement and state funding.
Anyway, I'll get off my rant for now. If you haven't been able to tell by now, I'm a History FANATIC!!!!!:-D

5 comments:

Cora Beth said...

What a great field trip! Thanks for taking us along for the ride--with all your pictures I mean. :)

That's so sad about them having to close because of not enough funds! Sports are so very popular around here as well, that I wouldn't be surprised if my state would do somthing like that...

Anyway, have a great new week! (And thanks for the comments. :)
Cora~
Cora

Anonymous said...

Oooh, that looks like alot of fun! I loved looking at all of your pictures, they are amazing! You are a great photography! I loved the "tour" of the house.. what beautiful furniture.

Many blessings,
Maggie

The K. Family said...

That looks like a lot of fun! If it's not too far away, maybe you could volunteer to work at Washingtons Crossing! We've always thought it would be fun to do something like that. Like the new header as well.

Hartley Family Blog said...

Wow, that looks like a lot of fun!
I'm hoping to be able to get back in that area one of these days in the near to see all of that type of stuff and to go to D.C. :D

Have a good day!

Lauren

*~Virginia~* said...

Thanks everyone so much for your lovely comments! :-D
To the Krahns, Yes! I would LOVE to volunteer (thats something I'VE always wanted to do to!) but its about 3 hours away....:-(
Lauren, well, when you come to DC, be sure to tell me and I'll come down and meet you!!!:-D